Tuesday, November 1, 2016

My First NaNoWriMo experience

I had heard of NaNoWriMo before. I wasn't sure what it was at first, but it stands for National Novel Writing Month. It seemed interesting, but not really to someone who was just starting out, had barely finished a novel and was waiting on pins and needles to hear a positive response back from a publisher. So I didn't do it the first time I had heard of it.

However, now that I have a large, and ever increasing, circle of friends that are authors, I realize how much networking and connecting with other authors can be. The tips and pointers you get from people with more experience than you at your craft are invaluable. It also helps you perfect that ever important method of writing, the BIC method.

While word count isn't necessarily the best method to go by to determine what you are writing is worth publishing, it helps establish the habit of writing. Personally speaking, my goal is about 2500- 3200 words a day for 30 days. Seems high, but when you consider that for the kick-off last night, I got there late, had 20 minutes to write and still got 529 words in, I think I did pretty good. Before I went to bed at 4 am, I was up to 1169 words. It's entirely possible that if I can avoid distractions, I could meet and beat my goal for the day. The hard part is to keep myself from going back when I'm doing what are called sprints to edit. (Sprints are where you basically type and type and type and don't worry about grammar or any other rules of writing, just get words down). I'm of two minds on sprints. I like clean writing, I don't like having red squigglies when I write. They are distracting to me and I get flustered when I have them.

But, so far so good. I like it and think it will help. If you are starting out, I strongly encourage you to participate. It could even help people doing essays and such for school.

OK, I'm off to write some more on my NaNo project! Happy reading everyone!
#southernfamilytiesbooks #Thealabamawordsmith

No comments:

Post a Comment