Monday, November 7, 2016

Family isn't just blood

I don't have a very large family. In fact, according to the census taken in 1990, there were 13 families in the entire USA that have my last name. I knew 4 of them personally and was part of the 5th. Considering that my series is Southern Family Ties, I guess I should explain what that means to me.

Family is the group of people, who, through either birth or design, have your back no matter what. They are your cheerleaders, your mentors, your Jimminie Cricket when you need them to be. They catch you when you fall. If you are down and out, they are the ones that say, hey come here, I will put you up. And if you don't have a way to get there, they will find a way to get you there. That is what family is, that is what family does.

While most of the series will be about actual blood family, there are members of the family that are not blood, but I'm sure you will agree hold a place in the family as if they were. I know I have people in my life that hold those places as well. Likewise, I know that I hold that place in certain other peoples lives as well.

In short, Family is what you make of it. Sometimes you have to reject members, sometimes you meet members that somehow got born into other families. But somehow, someway, we meet each other and know, we are family.

No comments:

Post a Comment