Friday, July 27, 2018

Author Interview with Theresa Oliver

Author Interview
Name: Theresa Oliver
Pen Name if different: Theresa Oliver
What first inspired you to write? When I was fourteen, I spent hours up in my bedroom, writing poetry, short stories, letters… just about anything I could think of. Then I took a Creative Writing class in high school and I enjoyed writing about to let out my feelings in a constructive, creative way. It was there that I also discovered the power of the written word. Words can help, hurt, entertain, or inform. It’s up to you how you wield the power. That said, in that class, my teacher gave us and assignment to write a short story. It was my first. Then after class one day, my teacher, Ms. Burke, took me aside and told me that I had talent and that I should pursue writing as a career. For the next several years, I wrote occasionally. But when I decided to get serious about writing, I remembered her words and decided to pursue writing as a career.  I never forgot Ms. Burke, her words of encouragement, how she made me feel about writing, and her belief in me as a writer.
How do you come up with the ideas for your stories? Ideas are all around us, everywhere you look. When you start looking at the world through the eyes of a writer, then ideas will come to you out of the blue, even when you’re not expecting it. I’m forever telling my children in conversation, “Oh! That would make a good book!” They always groan, but I’ve come up with a lot of good book ideas that way. Also, I wrote a book after I dreamed the pivotal scene. Book covers are also a great way to come up with book ideas. I often like to have my cover or my character pics before I write the book. Another great way to come up with book ideas if from playing the What If Game. For instance: Once I said to myself that if vampires were real, then the government would have some working for them because the government has the best of everything working for them. Hence, my book Star (C.I.A. Vampire Series, #1) was born. Also, keep a small note pad with you or the Color Note ap on your phone. Then when you have an idea, you can quickly write it down before you forget. As I stated, ideas are everywhere, if you’re open to them.
What question do you hate the most about being a writer? There are no questions I hate, because the only stupid question is the one that’s not asked. For that is how we learn: Through questions. If you don’t ask, then you won’t know and you won’t learn.
Are you indie or traditionally published? I’m a hybrid. Long ago, I was with a publisher. After a bad experience. After I left, I opened two publishing companies, through which I published my books, along with those of other authors. Not having enough time to devote to my own books, I dissolved the companies and decided to go with a publisher. I submitted my clean historical romance series Whiskey River Brides to Hot Tree Publishing and they accepted. So, my Whiskey River Brides series is with them. However, I’m still planning to publish my YA and Middle Grade books myself under Theresa Oliver Books.
Have you ever tried the other style of publishing? Yes, I have. Before I opened my own publishing companies, I went with another publisher and didn’t have a good experience. However, my experience with Hot Tree Publishing this go around has been wonderful. But I like having both worlds. I have also thought of submitting a Middle Grade book series to an agent, and a romance book to Hallmark Publishing, once I get caught up. Actually, I’m open to all types of publishing; however, if you self-publish, make sure you research Marketing. To me, Marketing is the hardest thing about publishing. Also, make sure the cover and interior layout are professional grade quality, and have your manuscript professionally edited. That’s not an option. It’s not cheap, but readers know the difference. I love Hot Tree Editing. My editor, Olivia Ventura, challenges me to think of my characters on a much deeper level. Also, the book is so much better after it’s been edited. But where publishing is concerned, the most important thing is to stay open to the possibilities. I took a class recently with R.L. Stine and he said something very important: Where writing is concerned, always say yes. One thing led to another and his path led him to where he is today. Yours will, too.
What are you working on now? Currently, I’m working on the rewrite and revisions of the fifth book in my Whiskey River Brides series, The Banker’s Bride. I’m also outlining other books in the series and in other genres, too.
What is your most recent/upcoming release? My recent release is A Whiskey River Princess (Whiskey River Brides, #3), now available on Amazon and Kindle Unlimited. The fourth book in the series, The Preacher’s Bride, is coming in October.
Links to stalk you online: Kathleen, thank you so much for having me!
Here are my stalker links:


No comments:

Post a Comment