Thursday, October 26, 2017

Author Interview with Mickey Bentley

Author Interview with Ed Bar/Mickey Bentley


Name: Mickey Bentley

Pen name if different: Ed Bar

What first inspired you to write? The first book I ever read was The Voice of the Night by Dean Koontz. I was a child when I read it, but that book was the first thing to inspire me to write. I wanted to be able to spin a story that would one day rival that of my favorite author. There have been many things and people in which I drew inspiration, but that rainy day, when I finished the last page and closed the book, was the first and most profound.

How do you come up with the ideas for your stories? I start with the protagonist, dwelling on him or her until they are well defined, their personalities, physical traits, what type of life they live. Then I imagine the type of people they have around them, influencing them either positively or negatively. Once I can see these people and their surroundings clearly, I think about what a day in the life of that protagonist might be like, and I start writing. I never build a story line. If I know what is going to happen every step of the way, or how the story will end, I will become bored and I will not be able to write. Instead, I let the characters tell me their story.

What question do you hate the most about being a writer? When are you going to get a real job? Unfortunately, I keep myself locked away, writing, proofreading or editing, most of every day. My friends and family have the opinion that I sit around all day doing nothing, wasting time while I play on my laptop, when I could be out looking for a forty-hour per week job.

Are you indie or traditionally published? I am an indie author.

Have you ever tried the other style of publishing? I had originally thought to publish traditionally, but changed my mind while shopping around. I witnessed too many traditionally published authors leaving to publish on their own, tired of not having enough control over their books. I researched indie publishing and decided that it would be a better fit for me, being that I don’t want people who might not have even read my book telling me that I need to change the story to suit their statistics.

What are you working on write now? I have several projects going right now, but most of my focus is on a novella called The Silly Murders. This is a horror story centering on a performance clown that is dying of a brain tumor. After he catches his wife in bed with a previous client, he snaps, losing his grip with reality and goes on a murder spree.

What is your most recent/upcoming release?

My next release will be a horror anthology titled Insanity. This will be a collection of thirteen short, interlocking stories of madness in its purest form.




Links to stalk you online:

No comments:

Post a Comment