Friday, January 27, 2017

Of Builders and Closing and Delays

Someone once told me that if you buy a house and they say the closing will be on Friday, to plan to close the following Wednesday. Mortgage lenders, builders and their running mates are notorious for never being ready to close when they say they will. Prime example: my sister and her husband were supposed to close today on their house. It's now been delayed again until Monday.

Why do they get away with it? Possibly because we let them. In any other aspect of life, we expect people to be on time. If you set a deadline, you are expected to meet it. No extensions, no exceptions. Meet the deadline or pay a penalty.

It creates all kinds of issues for the buyers when it gets delayed. Utilities being changed over, moving truck rentals, time off from work, helpers being available, all this is affected by the delay. It's a major headache for the people who planned to be there to help you and now can't be because you screwed with the schedule and pushed it all back. I guess I'm not that tolerant and accepting, since I would have told them that if they were going to cause me a delay, then they would have to pay me an inconvenience tax of at least $500. Because that's what it was going to cost me to now have to pay someone to help me move instead of being able to just do it with friends for free.

On top of this, I don't handle last minute changes in plans all that well. It has to do with my anxiety. I could really get a note from the doctor to excuse how short I would get with someone. But the most I can do is commiserate with those that are directly impacted and try to help smooth things over. Hats off to all those buying a house or apartment or simply moving that have to wait for someone to give permission to move in. One day, when the place is yours to keep, it will be worth it. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment