Monday, February 6, 2017

Fear of revelation

Writing is a very, exposing, thing to do. You really do lay a part of your own soul bare for the world to see. People who don't write, don't know how much of you, the writer goes into what you write. My friends say they can tell that certain characters have a bit of them in them, and they see a LOT of me in my books.

God, I hope that isn't really the case. There are dark recessed parts of my soul that I don't even want to explore, much less expose for the masses at large to go traipsing through. I know I'm not supposed to care what people at large think of me. I'm working on that. At least on a personal level. Professionally I care what people think of me. Am I a good writer, do I produce an entertaining story for them to read, are they priced right to move books off the shelf and into your hand?

But being a writer is terrifying. You work and slave over your brain child for months, sometimes years, and then one day you have to send it out into the big bad world and pray it does well. Because if it doesn't, you might not get another shot at being published. It's scary. And no one really knows how it will turn out. You just have to be willing to take that leap of faith and pray you grow wings on the way down.

No comments:

Post a Comment