Monday, April 17, 2017

Writing injuries

I really think there should be certain injuries that should excuse you from writing. Breaking a nail off down into the quick for example. I'm sure that at some point in time in life, we have all experienced this painful event. You are going along, doing your thing, and BAM! you break a nail, and it goes down into the nailbed and bleeds. It remains sore and tender for a long time afterwards, as if it is reproaching you for breaking it, making it hard to do things, like type, wash your hands, (and depending on which hand it broke on) do things with your hands like put your hair in a ponytail, open a soda can.

I really think this ought to qualify as something that gets you time off work. Paper cuts are another thing that should get you time off work. I know it sounds silly, but seriously, you get a deep enough of a paper cut or if it is placed just right (or wrong depending on your point of view), it can really hurt when you go to write. And heaven forbid you use a hand sanitizer on your hands with one. Oh my dear lord in Heaven, that will light up your whole world!

Injuries brought on by a bad chair should also qualify you for time off work. You can actually get hurt by your chair. I know, I have. I have had my chair roll over my toes, I have had my chair try to strip me by rolling over the hem of my skirt and holding it down when I tried to stand up. If the back or the seat is wore out, it will give you a back cramp or a cramp in your butt. Not fun.

I suppose the real problem with getting these declared work related injuries is that, well, I work for myself for the most part. I have no HR department to go to in order to place my claim for worker's compensation.

No comments:

Post a Comment